Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Compost on the scanner.

Finally I have scanned some compost. I hope to do a series of these. Can squeamishness be unlearned just by looking closely at something, getting fascinated by the details. The worms move while the scan is being made generating a rainbow effect, which I usually take out but might use to some effect someday.
Everyday there are articles in the paper about fresh produce. Saturday it was a lengthy op-ed piece by the Nieman Ranch lady. Ending her treatise on grass-fed beef was the forever familiar eat local, eat fresh, shop at your farmers market. I want to add a footnote to every instance this is mentioned (or add the tiny figure at the bottom of the cartoon with cynical commentary): please compost what you have to chop off and throw away. Compost the leftovers that are not cooked or go bad in your fridge...it is a complete cycle. There was also an article about neighborhood grocery stores selling more fresh fruits and vegetables instead of cookies and chips: YES this is terrific, but when will the same grocery store have compost pails for sale next to the produce with a tiny explanation of what to do??

Someday I hope.

3 comments:

lisa r said...

I know this is mommy world view, but if my love for a child can allow me to deal with literal shit/poop and love it (the shit/poop and the kid) , then my love for the earth should allow me to sift through compost? make sense?

yourgreatfinds said...

Great photo! This is one time that it is a good thing that blog postings cannot include the aroma of a photo. We live in a Southern California track home instead of the country as we want to. We do have a wonderful compost pile though. I have a friend that I trade poop with. I give her horse poop for her chicken and duck poop. Of course one day of my poop, takes her weeks to collect!

Josie Iselin said...

love this link from long ago but still good:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A07E3DF103FF930A35757C0A9639C8B63&n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/Subjects/G/Gardens%20and%20Gardening