Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Inukshuk from Nova Scotia by Josette d'Entremont


Josette d'Entremont sent this image of an "Inukshuk" from Nova Scotia. This one is from near Cape Fouchu Lighthouse, Yarmouth, NS. She is a true lover of the beach, claims she has every stone and shell represented in my two books, Beach Stones and Seashells and gains sustenance from beachcombing the way we all gain sustenance from bok choy. I understand so completely.

She writes:

I am a native of a small Acadian fishing village called 'Pubnico' (means "cleared land for farming"), which is located at the SW part of Nova Scotia, Canada on the Lighthouse Route. I live in Halifax (capital of NS) and am an amature photographer, historian, geologist and lover of the seashore (a beachcomber all my life!) and a preservationist for lighthouses. Our Nova Scotia shores have billions of years-old fossils, stones and shells.

"INUKSHUK" means "likeliness of a person" in the Inuit language. It is the symbol of the Human Spirit. For centuries, stone figures, built in the shape of men by the Inuits, have guided lonely travelers in North America and the Artic along the right paths to food, water and shelter. 'Inukshuks' represents strength, leadership and motivation. Some people even say that it represents "I was here". I love making these stone figures as I walk the shoreline, it's fun, inventive --you can build them in any shape or form, using whatever rocks you find) and very meaningful. I also cannot stroll along the beach without picking up a shell, waiting to be admired and wondering what stories it could tell me; where it came from, what did it see?

There is so much to see by the sea!

Thank you, Josette

No comments: